Re: Kernel logging

On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 3:59 AM, Joel Fernandes <agnel.joel@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> My question is, Is there a better way (better than logging) of
> tracking operations internal to the kernel continuously over long
> period of time in a way that doesn't affect latency (very
> drastically)?

Maybe you also need to check Linux Trace Toolkit Next Generation
(ltt-ng). It's actually a tracing toolkit that delivers low latency
tracing (according to the its website). Once it uses relayfs, but not
sure what it uses today

Anyway, do you need to track certain events and records i.e timestamp
for quite long time e.g 1 week or more? That's really massive IMO. You
really a fast logging and fast data transfer between kernel and user
space and very fast data writer too.

NB: Check ltt-ng carefully, IIRC it has its own logger too.

--
regards,

Mulyadi Santosa
Freelance Linux trainer and consultant