Re: what's the state of the kernelnewbies FAQ these days?

On Sun, 2009-07-05 at 15:47 -0400, Greg Freemyer wrote:
> > Hi Robert !
> >
> >> (please don't top post.)
> >
> > I've wondered about this for some time, actually.
> > On one hand it seems easier to get straight to the point at the top of
> > the doc, but if I got this right, it supposedly breaks the hierarchy of
> > the thread ?
> > (Conversely, over the years it used to annoy me at times - on groups
> > such as Y! MSP430 - that I had to first scroll down for half an hour to
> > see whether comments are effectively at the end, or whether they're
> > interspersed.. a top post avoids that ? )
> >
> > Could you elucidate why you dislike top post ?
> > I'm fairly new to linux, so I'm wondering whether it's my 'bad habits' -
> > inherited from Outlook/Win ? :-)
> > There seemed to be a lot of debate around when I researched this a while
> > ago pro and con, hence why I'm curious.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Kris
>
> Kris,
>
> It is not just Robert.  It is the entire Linux Kernel Mailing List
> collection.  ie. Dozens of mailing lists.
>
> The idea is that with high-volume lists most readers do not read every
> message and certainly cannot remember all previous context.
>
> So it is felt that each e-mail should be readable in a standalone
> fashion as much as possible.
>
> This means newer content should go after the older content in order
> that response can be read with proper context.  OTOH, having to scroll
> through tons of unrelated context is also a major issue, so aggressive
> trimming of unrelated quotes is also encouraged.
>
> Greg

Hi Greg (Robert et al),

Thanks for clarifying !
It makes a lot of sense - looking back at the thread can be done within the same post.
One specific group I frequent (electronics-qa, run by Ian in Sydney) - there it's considered a
'crime' when posting too much of the previous content :-)
I'll ensure that I adhere to this rule.

PS : Interesting that Evolution renders a dotted rectangle around my composed reply post.
Didn't do that when top-posting :-)

Best regards,
Kris