Re: what's the state of the kernelnewbies FAQ these days?

On Sun, 2009-07-05 at 11:33 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Jul 2009, SandeepKsinha wrote:
>
> > Hi Robert,
> >
> > It does really makes a lot of sense to rectify such issues. It
> > really discourages any newbie who starts kernel programming.
> >
> > Should we copy the linux-kernel folks to have a take on such issues.
>
>   (please don't top post.)
>
>   it doesn't make sense to ask the main kernel folks to fix any of
> that, that's not their job.  i don't know *who* is responsible for the
> kernelnewbies web site so i can't say who should be looking at it.
> all i'm suggesting is that, when the inevitable question comes up as
> to what sites are really good for kernel beginners, lots of people
> always recommend k-n, and the FAQ, but that seems to be bad advice if
> the content there is out of date or wrong.
>
>   i'll admit that that's the only page i looked at and based my
> original post on, but that's because it's the absolutely first link at
> the FAQ and it wasn't promising that that very first page i read
> contained an obvious error that could not possibly work.
>
> rday
> --
>
> > On Sun, Jul 5, 2009 at 6:42 PM, Robert P. J. Day<rpjday@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > >  i'm pondering adding to one of my linux.com articles one of these
> > > days some links that would be useful for kernel noobs, but i have no
> > > idea how useful or up-to date the kernelnewbies.org site is these
> > > days.  specifically, the FAQ itself doesn't inspire me with
> > > confidence.  following the very first link:
> > >
> > >  http://kernelnewbies.org/FAQ/KernelCompilation
> > >
> > > we read that this applies to version 2.6.0, which is *way* old.  and
> > > the tar command to extract from a bz2 tarball is just wrong:
> > >
> > >  $ tar xivf linux-2.6.0.tar.bz2
> > >
> > > no, that "i" should be a "j" for bz2 tarballs.
> > >
> > >  to be blunt, i'd like to recommend the best of the best of the
> > > available links for kernel beginners, but i'm not going to include
> > > links to material that are out of date or just plain wrong.  sorry to
> > > sound harsh, but that's the way it is.
> > >
> > > rday
> > > --
> > >

> > > ========================================================================
> > > Robert P. J. Day                               Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA
> > >
> > >        Linux Consulting, Training and Annoying Kernel Pedantry.
> > >
> > > Web page:                                          http://crashcourse.ca
> > > Linked In:                             http://www.linkedin.com/in/rpjday
> > > Twitter:                                       http://twitter.com/rpjday
> > >

> > --
> > Regards,
> > Sandeep.
> >

> > “To learn is to change. Education is a process that changes the learner.”

> Robert P. J. Day                               Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA
>
>         Linux Consulting, Training and Annoying Kernel Pedantry.
>
> Web page:                                          http://crashcourse.ca
> Linked In:                             http://www.linkedin.com/in/rpjday

Hi Robert !

> (please don't top post.)

I've wondered about this for some time, actually.
On one hand it seems easier to get straight to the point at the top of
the doc, but if I got this right, it supposedly breaks the hierarchy of
the thread ?
(Conversely, over the years it used to annoy me at times - on groups
such as Y! MSP430 - that I had to first scroll down for half an hour to
see whether comments are effectively at the end, or whether they're
interspersed.. a top post avoids that ? )

Could you elucidate why you dislike top post ?
I'm fairly new to linux, so I'm wondering whether it's my 'bad habits' -
inherited from Outlook/Win ? :-)
There seemed to be a lot of debate around when I researched this a while
ago pro and con, hence why I'm curious.

Best regards,
Kris