Re: My overview of the kernel --> do I have it correct ??

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 9:29 PM, William Case <billlinux@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Kyle;

On Thu, 2008-07-10 at 11:10 -0400, Kyle Spaans wrote:
> Just a suggestion:
> I believe I'm in the same boat as yourself - trying to learn about the
> Linux Kernel.
>
> I've been perusing the source code as well, but what I realized I was
> lacking was an understanding of Operating Systems in general.
>
> So another option to consider  - it's certainly helping me - is to
> pickup an introductory OS textbook and work your way through that
> while you look at the Linux source code.
>
> gl & hf

 I have "The Linux Kernel Primer" which I have read from cover-to-cover.
As well, I have completely read over the last two years:

Bibliogarphy

"Computer Organization and Design" Second Edition : The
Hardware/Software Interface"
by David A. Patterson, John L. Hennessy
.
.
.
I am try to put all that together in my head as a simplified modal, so
that as I pursue kernel questions I have an entry point to delve and
dive from.

Hi,
    As a novice myself, i would recommend Robert Love's 'Linux Kernel Development'. It is a small book and paints a good picture of the Linux kernel, nicely giving a view of the many different components involved.
    It does not delve into deep details however, those can always be obtained from ULTK or LDD or the source ultimately.

My 2 cents...

HTH.

Best regards,
Pranav