Re: My overview of the kernel --> do I have it correct ??

Hi Kyle;

On Thu, 2008-07-10 at 11:10 -0400, Kyle Spaans wrote:
> Just a suggestion:
> I believe I'm in the same boat as yourself - trying to learn about the
> Linux Kernel.
>
> I've been perusing the source code as well, but what I realized I was
> lacking was an understanding of Operating Systems in general.
>
> So another option to consider  - it's certainly helping me - is to
> pickup an introductory OS textbook and work your way through that
> while you look at the Linux source code.
>
> gl & hf

 I have "The Linux Kernel Primer" which I have read from cover-to-cover.
As well, I have completely read over the last two years:

Bibliogarphy

"Computer Organization and Design" Second Edition : The
Hardware/Software Interface"
by David A. Patterson, John L. Hennessy

"Computer Architecture: A Quantitative Approach"
by John L. Hennessy, David A. Patterson, David Goldberg

Bach, Maurice J.; "The Design of the Unix Operating System;"
Prentice-Hall Canada Inc.; Pub. 1986; ISBN 0-13-201799-7 025; DUOS

Rodriguez, Claudia Salzberg; Fischer, Gordon; Smolski, Steven; "The
Linux Kernel Primer, A Top-Down Approach for x86 and Power PC
Architectures"; Pub 2006; Prentice Hall Professional Technical
Reference; ISBN 0-13-118163-7; LKP

Stallings Ph.D., William; "Operating Systems Internals and Design
Priciples"; Fourth Edition, Pub 2001; Prentice Hall, Inc.; ISBN
0-13-031999-6; OSIDP4

Stallings William; "Computer Organization and Architecture, Designing
for Performance", Sixth Edition; Pub 2003; Prentice Hall, Inc.; ISBN
0-13-035119-9; COA

Tanenbaum, Andrew S.; "Modern Operating Systems", Second Edition; Pub
2001; Prentice Hall, Inc.; ISBN 0-13-031358-0; MOS

Plus a couple of high school level Physics and electronics as
refreshers.  I have a couple of other texts I use for double checking.

I am try to put all that together in my head as a simplified modal, so
that as I pursue kernel questions I have an entry point to delve and
dive from.

--
Regards Bill;
Fedora 9, Gnome 2.22.3