Re: My overview of the kernel --> do I have it correct ?? -- Typo fixes

On Thu, 2008-07-10 at 11:59 -0400, William Case wrote:
> Hi Kyle;
>
> On Thu, 2008-07-10 at 11:10 -0400, Kyle Spaans wrote:
> > Just a suggestion:
> > I believe I'm in the same boat as yourself - trying to learn about the
> > Linux Kernel.
> >
> > I've been perusing the source code as well, but what I realized I was
> > lacking was an understanding of Operating Systems in general.
> >
> > So another option to consider  - it's certainly helping me - is to
> > pickup an introductory OS textbook and work your way through that
> > while you look at the Linux source code.
> >
> > gl & hf
> >
>  I have "The Linux Kernel Primer" which I have read from cover-to-cover.
> As well, I have completely read over the last two years:

As well, I have read completely over the last two years:

> Bibliogarphy
>
> "Computer Organization and Design" Second Edition : The
> Hardware/Software Interface"
> by David A. Patterson, John L. Hennessy
>
> "Computer Architecture: A Quantitative Approach"
> by John L. Hennessy, David A. Patterson, David Goldberg
>
> Bach, Maurice J.; "The Design of the Unix Operating System;"
> Prentice-Hall Canada Inc.; Pub. 1986; ISBN 0-13-201799-7 025; DUOS
>
> Rodriguez, Claudia Salzberg; Fischer, Gordon; Smolski, Steven; "The
> Linux Kernel Primer, A Top-Down Approach for x86 and Power PC
> Architectures"; Pub 2006; Prentice Hall Professional Technical
> Reference; ISBN 0-13-118163-7; LKP
>
> Stallings Ph.D., William; "Operating Systems Internals and Design
> Priciples"; Fourth Edition, Pub 2001; Prentice Hall, Inc.; ISBN
> 0-13-031999-6; OSIDP4
>
> Stallings William; "Computer Organization and Architecture, Designing
> for Performance", Sixth Edition; Pub 2003; Prentice Hall, Inc.; ISBN
> 0-13-035119-9; COA
>
> Tanenbaum, Andrew S.; "Modern Operating Systems", Second Edition; Pub
> 2001; Prentice Hall, Inc.; ISBN 0-13-031358-0; MOS
>
> Plus a couple of high school level Physics and electronics as
> refreshers.  I have a couple of other texts I use for double checking.

As well, I own a couple of high school level Physics and Electronics
texts I keep by my side as refreshers.  I have a couple of other texts I
use for double checking.

> I am try to put all that together in my head as a simplified modal,
I am try to put all that reading together in my head as a simplified
model,

> so that as I pursue kernel questions I have an entry point to delve and
> dive from.

In a sense, I am trying to develop for myself an introductory model that
encapsulates the top of the concept tree without ambiguities or
specialized technical language.  I am not opposed to necessary
ambiguities or technical language.  But at the top, or base, depending
on your point of view, I like to (have to) keep one foot on normal
common ground.

If the model only works for me; so be it.  If on-the-other-hand, if it
can help others climb the same learning curve I am willing to share.

I was hoping someone who is like minded but far more experienced would
look at my description of how the kernel works and confirm or deny that
as a basic model or mental image my description is functional.

--
Regards Bill;
Fedora 9, Gnome 2.22.3