Re: Help please

On Thursday 10 July 2008 17:37:19 you wrote:
> >Have you downloaded the kernelsource? and, why would you want to
> >reverse-engineer it? You have the source.. :-)
>
> I am looking for the memory layouts... and figure out the operation based
> on the memory diagrams... :) .... donno the exact word..... rather than the
> code am loking for the idea .. the design.... please correct me on my
> strategy as well.......

If you want an introduction to the memory-layout, I reccomend that you
buy "Understanding the Linux Kernel", 3rd ed [1]. The memory system is quite
complex, and to tackle that solely through source-code is a daunting task at
best. This gives you an overview over the layout, the reason for why it's
like it is and how it's implemented (or, rather, what the actual
implementation actually does).

If you want the nitty-gritty details that only the code can provide, goto
arch/x86/mm/ folder (replace x86 with the architecture you're interested in)
and have a look at the files there.

As a footnote, keep the list-discussion in the thread in the list - who know,
maybe someone else wonders about the same thing, and, as the list is stored
in archives, it's possible to google it later as well. :-) So, I CC'ed
kernelnewbies - and perhaps some other wise heads can throw in a few comments
on memory ;)

[1]:
http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Linux-Kernel-Third-Daniel/dp/0596005652/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1215707934&sr=8-1
--