Re: My overview of the kernel --> do I have it correct ??

Hi Pranav;

On Thu, 2008-07-10 at 22:22 +0530, Pranav Peshwe wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 9:29 PM, William Case <billlinux@xxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:

>          I have "The Linux Kernel Primer" which I have read from
>         cover-to-cover.
>         As well, I have completely read over the last two years:
>

> Hi,
>     As a novice myself, i would recommend Robert Love's 'Linux Kernel
> Development'. It is a small book and paints a good picture of the
> Linux kernel, nicely giving a view of the many different components
> involved.
>     It does not delve into deep details however, those can always be
> obtained from ULTK or LDD or the source ultimately.
>
> My 2 cents...

The book that gave me the most assistance, was "Computer Architecture: A
Quantitative Approach" by John L. Hennessy, David A. Patterson, David
Goldberg.  This book goes into complete, excruciating detail of how the
CPU, memory management etc functions at the transistor, logic gate,
clocking and register level.  Far more detail than you might think you
need.  But I found after I had read through its 400 - 500 pages, even if
I only retained about 20%, huge mysteries had been solved and many
kernel questions had become trivial.

--
Regards Bill;
Fedora 9, Gnome 2.22.3