Re: Attempting to kill init!

Hi all,

Jan Hudec wrote:
I guess RAM problem. Does windows boot?

yes, perfectly.

During a similar situation, windows was somehow booting but linux wouldn't.
Removing and inserting RAM again helped. There's apparently a bootable
CD which detects if RAM is the culprit.

Look for program called 'memtest86'. It is a bootloader of it's own so
it needs as little memory for it's own code.

SuSE install CD contained it and allowed booting it last time I used it
(which was SuSE 9.3).

When I ran the test in *standard* (default) mode. It *passed* all the tests. AFAIR the default mode tests from 80KB to 248MB.

Then I tried *tweaking* into the test configuration and restarting the tests. It *fails* with an error. It doesn't restart.
The tweaked configs are:
1. Test All Memory
2. Probe

The Error goes something like this:
Unhandled Exception ...
<snip>
PC: 0x000000010
<snip>

I observed that mostly we end up in an error at PC =  0x0010. Though not every time.

To home in onto the problem:
I guess this means there might be some issue with the RAM. Is there a utility that could test RAM over windows ?? And/or
Is there a specific test I could perform with memtest, preferably on the first 80K region that could bring out the problem ?

Thanks for all your help,
Manav Kataira