Re: Attempting to kill init!

On Sun, Mar 26, 2006 at 19:10:15 +0530, Manav Kataria wrote:

> >I guess RAM problem. Does windows boot?
> >
> yes, perfectly.
> >During a similar situation, windows was somehow booting but linux wouldn't.
> >Removing and inserting RAM again helped. There's apparently a bootable
> >CD which detects if RAM is the culprit.

Look for program called 'memtest86'. It is a bootloader of it's own so
it needs as little memory for it's own code.

SuSE install CD contained it and allowed booting it last time I used it
(which was SuSE 9.3).

> Really! I had come accros a comment that said RAM might causes this
> problem but I din't suspect that as windows booted okay.

Windows seem generally less succeptible to hardware problems, than
Linux.

--
						 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec <bulb@xxxxxx>