Re: Documentation (was Re: randomly changing IPs from different subnets (Google Mail))

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 05:36:32PM +0300, Lars Nooden wrote:
> /dev/rob0 wrote:
>
> > http://www.netfilter.org/news.html :
> >
> > "2004-Jun-15
> > 	New iptables 1.2.10 release ..."
> >
> > That was SIX YEARS ago.
>
> Yes and it has worked very well for SIX YEARS on those particular
> servers.

FWIW I have a Slackware 10.0 server with iptables 1.2.10, which will
be six years old in October. Nothing wrong with not upgrading if a
server is working fine.

The point is: I don't assume that's up-to-date. Two years is a long
time in Linux terms, and we have had three such long times since A.D.
2004.

> What can be done about the old web tutorials and howtos?  Many have
> not been touched in years, even if only to refresh the date stamp

Stamp a big red warning label on the whole WWW, stating that content
is provided as-is and with no guarantees. :)

> and say things are still valid or to post a warning for staleness.
> e.g.:
>
> http://www.netfilter.org/documentation/HOWTO//networking-concepts-HOWTO.html
>
> If I had to choose one to start with, it might be the Oskar
> Andreasson tutorial:
>
> 	http://www.frozentux.net/documents/iptables-tutorial/

I think Oskar's is still the definitive work, but indeed, it shows
its age. If I could get a grant, I would be happy to start work on
updating Oskar's tutorial and Rusty's Unreliable Guides.

Such grants are more likely to be offered to actual Netfilter
developers, of course. They're more deserving than I am. But I'm
stuck with bills and expenses, so I have to find something which
pays. When someone with the time to spare comes along and wants to
fill the need, it will be done.