Re: Documentation (was Re: randomly changing IPs from different subnets (Google Mail))

On Wednesday 2010-06-23 17:13, /dev/rob0 wrote:
>On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 05:36:32PM +0300, Lars Nooden wrote:
>> /dev/rob0 wrote:
>>
>> What can be done about the old web tutorials and howtos?  Many have
>> not been touched in years, even if only to refresh the date stamp
>
>Stamp a big red warning label on the whole WWW, stating that content
>is provided as-is and with no guarantees. :)

What needs to be done is to talk to the Netfilter core people -
Patrick, Pablo - and sort it out. This has been raised before, but
nothing really got out of it because the whole domain and servers is
in some obscurly-secure network that nobody has time to touch.

>> and say things are still valid or to post a warning for staleness.
>> e.g.:
>>
>> http://www.netfilter.org/documentation/HOWTO//networking-concepts-HOWTO.html
>>
>> If I had to choose one to start with, it might be the Oskar
>> Andreasson tutorial:
>>
>> 	http://www.frozentux.net/documents/iptables-tutorial/
>
>I think Oskar's is still the definitive work, but indeed, it shows
>its age. If I could get a grant, I would be happy to start work on
>updating Oskar's tutorial and Rusty's Unreliable Guides.

(Oskar's looks a bit like a manpage reproduction.)

There is also mostafa/lxsameer's book project
(http://github.com/mostafa/iptables_book) I just can't find our
conversation in my archives..