Re: POM Xtables???

Pablo Neira Ayuso wrote:
James King wrote:
On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 4:21 PM, Patrick McHardy wrote:

Just send it to netfilter-devel. If its the thing with lots
of hard-coded binary matches full of magic values I'm not
interested :) I'd be more interested in a discussion what
would be necessary to represent all those matches through
the FSM textsearch match or something similar.

ipp2p is the one with hard coded magic values.

What are your feelings on the kernel version of l7filter (regex
patterns loaded from the filesystem)?  Currently it requires a patch
to add a structure to nf_conn, but I've been meaning to rewrite it to
use ct_extend so that it could at least be included into xtables-addon
and used with a stock kernel, although if there's interest in having
it merged into mainline I'd be willing to focus on that.

That is definitely a much better way than to hardcode the
matches. I think there is some interest in having this in
the kernel, yes.

One thing
I'm not sure of is whether the license used by the Henry Spencer regex
library it depends on is acceptable by kernel standards (or whether
it's permissive enough to relicense under GPL, as IANAL).

I know of the regexp.old.zip library, which IIRC used a GPL
compatible license (and a non-POSIX conform interface).

If we want to do this in-kernel I think that it's better if it must use
the textsearch infrastructure. Probably it would require some patches to
extend the existing infrastructure.

I'd also prefer that over adding a regex library to the kernel.
I think one of the bigger problems is that there are dependencies
in the match that can't be easily expressed, like "byte 4 has
skb->len - 10". At least ipp2p does something like that. But
maybe thats not necessary, since l7filter already uses regexes
there's apparently a different method for doing this.

It would be useful if someone could post an excerpt from the
l7filter expressions or simply the entire patch.

The other choise is userspace by means NFQUEUE. If we use some
heuristics, we may try to classify the traffic by means of the initial
data packets and then mark the connection. Thus, the number of packets
that go to userspace would be small and the classification logic is
implemented in userspace using whatever regex
engine/aho-corasick/bit-wise/boyer-moore/bayes whatsoever...

Yes, thats another possibilty (and a lot of people are doing
that), but it would still be nice to have a mechanism for
doing this in the kernel.