Re: POM Xtables???

Jan Engelhardt wrote:
On Monday 2008-06-30 18:20, Patrick McHardy wrote:
3) Still don't know where Xtables-addons fits in with Netfilter?  Why
is Xtables not on the Netfilter site or even mentioned there at all?
What does the core Netfilter team think of Xtables-addons?
I have no opinion about this except that already mentioned by
Jan: useful patches in proper state should be upstream, all
others I don't care about.

Well at least I want to give it some care. POM, and Xtables-addons
exist because modules were rejected upstream.
- the rest: dunno?

Which rest? Is the list at the end of your mail complete?

6) Currently the extensions and patching systems seems to be a
hodge-podge of items, all with different web sites, maintainers and
writers, from a newbie perspective it's confusing, would be nice if it
was wrapped up into something more straitforward. Hopefully this is
what Xtables-addons is doing, BUT would be really nice if this all
started officially at Netfilter.org.
Short answer - don't do it, the module provided by the kernel
should be enough for 99.99% of all cases. If it isn't, convince
us to merge the patch, which usually isn't very hard.

History has repeatedly shown that out of tree patches are buggy
and cause more problems than they solve, which is why there
is no interest from the netfilter team in maintaining external
patches.

Hence I have taken up some and fixed them to be straight.
Patrick, what's your judgment on the existing
xt_{LOGMARK,TARPIT,TEE,condition,geoip,ipp2p} modules in xtables-addons?

- LOGMARK - haven't seen it or can't remember
- TARPIT - fine if remaining issues are fixed
- TEE - same as TARPIT
- condition - undecided
- geoip - seems like a toy. Whats the use case?
- ipp2p - last version I've seen was a *horrible* mess, unless I'm
 confusing it with the other l7 classifier module out there.