Re: POM Xtables???

http://freshmeat.net/projects/xtables-addons/
http://jengelh.medozas.de/projects/xtables-addons/

>2) Is there any documentation on how to use it?

The package provides a few more modules; when installed, you use like
it you always use iptables. There is a bit of a README and an INSTALL
file in the tarball; after being built, the xtables-addons.8 manpage
is assembled and can be viewed with `man -l xtables-addons.8` (or the
normal `man xtables-addons` when installed) that explains the new
modules much like the iptables.8 manpage.

./configure && make && make install  itself does not need much
documentation, but the modules have more documentation than
they did in pom.

Improvements or suggestions are always welcome.

>3) Can we get a clarification on the main Netfilter site on these things?
>4) If we are not to use POM, then why is it still listed on the site
>in the main projects list.
>
>Very confused here.

I am not representing Netfilter.org, but as the author/maintainer, this
is the state of affairs (also copied to website now):

* pom was designed to patch and recompile kernel (you like spending
  two hours on that? and then you notice a problem with the patch...)
* multiarch and endianess issues often ignored, making the modules
  not work on x86_64, much less on sparc64.
* some security issues - error handling was missing sometimes that
  could lead to an oops
* code was generally unreviewed
* pom modules have not received any real updates in months
* and from a purely maintenance pov: pom modules replicated the
  glue to work with multiple kernels in their files...

* xtables-addons conveniently builds modules to an existing kernel,
  saving packagers, users and developers a lot of time
(there is also an easy --but unimplemented-- way to patch a kernel if
you want to have it built-in)
* code that has been imported from pom got the necessary fixups wrt.
  multiarch, endianess and everything that looked like a blatant
  violation of something
* speed improvements (e.g. in geoip)
* and it makes maintenance a lot easier