Re: POM Xtables???

Dave wrote:
Over the weekend I managed to get the Xtables-addons working with
Kernel 2.6.25.  Throughout this process many questions have come up
that were unanswered by the documentation or Netfilter site.  I'll
point them out.

1) Confusion on just what Xtables is.  Is Xtables really just
Iptables?  It seems to be, but there is nothing saying so officially.

x_tables is the common core behind ip_tables, ip6_tables and
arp_tables.

3) Still don't know where Xtables-addons fits in with Netfilter?  Why
is Xtables not on the Netfilter site or even mentioned there at all?
What does the core Netfilter team think of Xtables-addons?

I have no opinion about this except that already mentioned by
Jan: useful patches in proper state should be upstream, all
others I don't care about.

4) How does one patch for ACCOUNT and IPSET?  I couldn't find any
modules for Xtables-addons to patch for these extensions, although I
did find mention of a xt_account extension, but couldn't find any
download or anyway to add it to addons.  I had to patch ACCOUNT and
IPSET with Patch-O-Matic.  It seems we really have to use both these
patchers to get everything.

ipset is an exception as its the only patch maintained by
someone from the Core Team that has not been merged upstream
yet. As such it shouldn't be included in Jan's package since
Jozsef is doing official releases in pom.

6) Currently the extensions and patching systems seems to be a
hodge-podge of items, all with different web sites, maintainers and
writers, from a newbie perspective it's confusing, would be nice if it
was wrapped up into something more straitforward. Hopefully this is
what Xtables-addons is doing, BUT would be really nice if this all
started officially at Netfilter.org.

Short answer - don't do it, the module provided by the kernel
should be enough for 99.99% of all cases. If it isn't, convince
us to merge the patch, which usually isn't very hard.

History has repeatedly shown that out of tree patches are buggy
and cause more problems than they solve, which is why there
is no interest from the netfilter team in maintaining external
patches (with the one exception of ipset, which is not considered
ready for upstream yet by Jozsef, its author).