Re: repeated failed logons and ignoring them

Why let arbitrary IP addresses connect to your SSH daemon?  There have
been remotely exploitable vulnerabilities discovered in various SSH
implementations, and these vulnerabilities generally have nothing to
do with trying to brute force passwords.

You might be interested in "fwknop" which implements a passive
authorization scheme called "Single Packet Authorization" in conjunction
with Netfilter configured in a default-drop stance:

http://www.cipherdyne.org/fwknop/

Here is a HOWTO on setting up fwknop to use GnuPG keys:

http://www.cipherdyne.org/fwknop/docs/gpghowto.html

--
Michael Rash
http://www.cipherdyne.org/