Re: Login load balancing

Arnt Karlsen wrote:
>> I'm not sure I understand, but you seem to be suggesting a way by
>> which I could use a console window in X.  As a base case, I have to
>> support somebody connecting with a vt100 and a 9600 baud modem.  This
>> solution needs to be completely independent of X.
>
> ..yup, and I was thinking of the various ttys, on which again you offer
> a shell menu to choose from, instead of the usual shell prompt, any tty
> (except mingetty or fgetty) should do this for you, a few quick ideas:
> arnt@a45:~ $ apt-cache search tty |grep tty
> [...]

Okay, so what you're talking about now has nothing to do with sdm-terminal,
and is just a script run when users log in to the director, which will give
the user a menu and then shunt them off through ssh or some other means to
one of the participating hosts.

I wouldn't bother with the menu, though, because that defeats the
'load-balacing' part of it (unless I put the latest load figures in the menu
and let the user choose).

This solution requires login access to the director host.  Not necessarily a
show-stopper, but it's a drawback.

Thanks for your input,
Drew.

--
Drew Leske :: Systems Group/Unix, Computing Services, University of Victoria
  dleske@xxxxxxx / +1250 472 5055 (office) / +1250 588 4311 (cel)