Re: Login load balancing

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 11:27:51 -0700, Drew wrote in message
<444FBBA7.2020501@xxxxxxx>:

> >> I'm looking for a solution (and I'm not afraid of devving one if
> >necessary) > to load-balance SSH logins over several mostly identical
> >systems.
> >
> > This sounds like a job for LVS. Have a look at
> > http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/
>
> Thanks Sebastian.  I should have mentioned however that I have looked
> at this and I'd like to avoid it.  I'm not afraid of compiling my own
> kernel or software, but here at work we avoid using anything but our
> distribution's standard kernel package.  If it comes down to the
> choice between using LVS and not providing the load-balancing service
> at all, I will probably have to choose the latter.

..check out sdm and sdm-terminal, if you wanna provide X logins over
ssh, the user sees a menu to choose from and you should be able to
"pile up the good boxes" on top of that menu listing:
arnt@a45:~ $ apt-cache search sdm
bsdmainutils - collection of more utilities from FreeBSD
bsdutils - Basic utilities from 4.4BSD-Lite
cfv - versatile file checksum creator and verifier
sdm - Secure Display Manager - secure remote access to X11
sdm-terminal - Secure Display Manager - terminal files
turqstat - Fidonet and Usenet statistics program
xturqstat - Fidonet and Usenet statistics program for X
arnt@a45:~ $ apt-cache show sdm sdm-terminal
Package: sdm
Section: x11
Installed-Size: 124
Maintainer: Jonas Smedegaard <dr@xxxxxxxx>
Architecture: all
Version: 0.4.0b-3
Depends: openssh-server | ssh | ssh-server, dash, xbase-clients,
x11-common | xfree86-common Recommends: xdialog
Suggests: wmanager, selectwm, icewm | x-window-manager, xterm |
x-terminal-emulator Filename: pool/main/s/sdm/sdm_0.4.0b-3_all.deb
Size: 14108
MD5sum: 0fdab9298ea0f4e42426d67ccb31b9c4
 sdm is an X11 display manager similar to xdm, gdm and kdm, but unlike
 those it wraps the X11 traffic within an ssh tunnel to provide a secure
 login mechanism for remote X sessions.
 sdm provides access only through SSH, not locally. It is technically
 possible to access an sdm server from same host, but probably a waste
of CPU power.
 .
 This package should be installed on any server acting as SDM server.
 .
  Homepage: http://www.lessdisks.net/
Tag: interface::daemon, interface::x11, role::sw:server, use::login,
x11::display-manager

Package: sdm-terminal
Section: x11
Installed-Size: 108
Maintainer: Jonas Smedegaard <dr@xxxxxxxx>
Architecture: all
Source: sdm
Version: 0.4.0b-3
Depends: openssh-client | ssh | ssh-client, dash, xserver-xorg |
xserver-xfree86 | xserver, xbase-clients Recommends: xdialog
Filename: pool/main/s/sdm/sdm-terminal_0.4.0b-3_all.deb
Size: 13692
MD5sum: 93ad42913ddf30c04da3a2a4c239c49d
 sdm is an X11 display manager similar to xdm, gdm and kdm, but unlike
 those it wraps the X11 traffic within an ssh tunnel to provide a secure
 login mechanism for remote X sessions.
 sdm provides access only through SSH, not locally. It is technically
 possible to access an sdm server from same host, but probably a waste
of CPU power.
 .
 This package contains helper files for a terminal to connect to an sdm
 server, and should be installed on any computer accessing an sdm
server. .
  Homepage: http://www.lessdisks.net/
Tag: admin::login, role::content:data, security::authentication,
use::login, x11::display-manager

arnt@a45:~ $

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: