patch-o-matic and modules

I have a question about kernel and patch-o-matic.

Assuming that I have a kernel 'vmlinuz' before applying
patch-o-matic.

Then I go ahead to apply patch-o-matic patches, a few I
have applied, say TTL and CONNMARK. Then I go ahead to
recompile a new kernel but those new netfilter features I specify
them as modules. Then I compile the new modules. In this
example, I would get ipt_TTL.o and ipt_CONNMARK.o as result.

My question is what is the impact of using this ipt_CONNMARK.o
or ipt_TTL.o with the kernel 'vmlinuz' prior to applying patch-o-matic ?
I tried loading it, it does not seem to have any problem. I got loaded.
There is also no error in the iptables commands.

It is safe to using the new modules with the old kernel ? Or must I only
use it with the new kernel ?