Re: Trying to use NETMAP for 1-1 NAT

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004, Antony Stone wrote:
> Even simpler to setup, and maybe adequate for the task, would be a plain IP in
> IP tunnel (see http://lartc.org for details).   It doesn't have the security
> of an IPsec tunnel, but then neither does the nat solution which Nick is
> trying to get working in the first place.
>
> I think an IP tunnel would be a 'cleaner' network arrangement than lots of nat
> around the place, but the choice is yours, of course.
>
> Regards,
>
> Antony.

We already have VPN connections traveling all over the place, with
endpoints on opposite sides of the DSL modems.  While everything should
"just work" tunnel-in-tunnel, I would rather not incur the MTU cost of an
additional tunnel, when I can store the needed data in the destination IP
address, and still get around the route limit in the modem.

I compiled the iptables userspace I already had against my shiney new
patched kernel, and low and behold NETMAP works.  If anyone is interested
I can post more info on my crazy hack once it's completed.

Thanks to everyone who responded to me!