Re: Help in IPTABLES

On Sunday 12 January 2003 03:01 am, Arnt Karlsen wrote:

> ..the wee point I was trying to make, is an iptables firewall is
> vulnerable while it is being set up, so echo "0" first to stop
> forwarding, set up the firewall, and echo "1" at the end of the
> script to start forwarding again, a wee nit into your helpful

I do this myself in my script, but believe there is an additional
solution, at least for some distros:

I'm running RedHat 7.3, and so everything runs off SysV-Init.  I was
greatly bothered by the fact that the S07iptables startup link would get
run quite a bit (well, a few seconds at least :^) before my firewall
would.  Changing my firewall to a lower number in the sequence wouldn't
work easily, since I'm on a Dynamic IP at the moment and had to start up
ADSL to get the IP, since I use it 'statically' in SNAT.  It also would
need (or at least want) syslog up and running.  Couldn't easily move
ADSL up in the sequence, since it depended on networking in general.
Everything is pretty much fixed in the sequence it already starts in.

Then it occurred to me:  Modify the /etc/init.d/iptables script to set
DROP policies, instead of the horribly shortsighted ACCEPT default it
uses.  As soon as this occurred to me I changed it, and I feel much more
comfortable now, knowing that if the whole startup collapses right after
iptables and network scripts, I'm still not wide open.

My sequence now is
iptables->ip6tables->network->syslog->ADSL->firewall->ip6firewall->freenet
(freenet is the startup for the IPv6inIPv4 tunnel)

I modified the /etc/init.d/iptables script to set DROP policies in both
the 'start' and 'stop' functions.

Despite being more comfortable with this, I'd like to hear if anyone sees
a hole in my reasoning.