Re: Help in IPTABLES

On Sat, 11 Jan 2003 21:32:00 -0500,
Joel Newkirk <netfilter@newkirk.us> wrote in message
<200301112132.00991.netfilter@newkirk.us>:

> On Saturday 11 January 2003 02:57 am, Arnt Karlsen wrote:
> > On Fri, 10 Jan 2003 21:46:56 -0800 (PST),
> > Mohammad Shakir <shakirz1@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >
> > <20030111054656.20063.qmail@web40711.mail.yahoo.com>:
> > > Dear Friends,
>
> [snipped]
>
> > > Please help my what script I make for this.
> > >
> > > I hope you will help me in this regard.
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > >
> > > MOHAMMAD SHAKIR
> >
> > ..unless you can afford to hire my firm, learn from
> > http://tldp.org/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX/networking.html .
>
> I think that's pretty unnecessary.  Referring to a useful reference is
> great.  Doing so with an attitude isn't.  This IS the neftilter user
> list.  People come here with questions, often with minimal experience

..seeing what came here, I agree.  Mohammad, I apologize.

> and background.  In fact Mr Shakir's post included a script (which

..yes, people often get into working close to the borders on our
competence and need help, and can pay for it, at other times we
cannot pay for help, and need advice to know how to do it ourselves.

..the wee point I was trying to make, is an iptables firewall is
vulnerable while it is being set up, so echo "0" first to stop
forwarding, set up the firewall, and echo "1" at the end of the
script to start forwarding again, a wee nit into your helpful

> needs some work, which I noted in my reply) and then asked for advice
> on a second similar situation.  If all you have to offer is a link and
> a kick in the ass, why bother?

..I believe gentle kicks into the right direction are warranted.
Like your kick here.  ;-)

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: