Re: [ANNOUNCE] ipset 6.13 released

Maybe ASCII art helps better to explain the different views:

- Mr Dash Four

                     -----------
  pkt comes in ----- | machine | ----- pkt goes out
                   ^ ----------- ^
                 destination   source

- my view follows how the subsytem sees the interfaces

  pkt comes in --- interface | ipset subsytem | interface --- pkt goes out
                       source               destination

How do you explain that the same "ipset subsystem" treats the IP address of the "source" interface (according to your diagram above) as "destination" when I match the same (incoming) packet above?

In other words, when I match a packet arriving on the "source" interface (again, according to the diagram above) against the IP address this "source" interface belongs to, I have to use "dst" designation, not "src", but when I match it against the interface then I have to use "src" instead? Also, how do you explain that the same designation (destination) applies for everything else but the hash:net,iface set for the same type of match (incoming packet)?

Give me a reasonable and coherent explanation and I'll accept your argument.

"src" and "dst" are generic keywords of the set match and SET target of iptables/ip6tables and independent of the set types. The match and target have no idea what is "src" and "dst", the given set interprets them according to the type.
Regardless of whether the set match and SET target use these two keywords, across the whole netfilter terminology, there is consistency applied with the notable exception of the hash:net,iface and the "iface" part in particular.