Re: [ANNOUNCE] ipset 6.13 released

On Sun, 1 Jul 2012, Mr Dash Four wrote:

> > I have just released ipset 6.13 with a few bugfixes and some new features.
> >
> > Userspace changes:
> >  - Explain in more detail src/dst for hash:net,iface
> >
> Assuming this is what you've had in mind (taken from "man ipset"):
>
> The second direction parameter of the set match and
> SET target modules corresponds to the incoming/outgoing interface:
> src to the incoming one (similar to the -i flag of iptables), while
> dst to the outgoing one (similar to the -o flag of iptables). When
> the interface is flagged with physdev:, the interface is interpreted
> as the incoming/outgoing bridge port.
>
> I think that is plain wrong!
>
> You refer to the incoming interface (interface on which packets arrive) as the
> "source". That cannot be right. To me, it should be a "destination", not
> "source" as the very definition of a "destination" is where something ends,
> this is where a packet arrives and where the journey of the packet "stops" (or
> where the packet is "destined" to arrive anyway). It should definitely not be
> a "source" as the packet does not originate there, nor does it start its
> journey there.
>
> Similarly for the outgoing interface - this isn't a "destination" interface as
> the packet doesn't arrive there - it is where it starts its journey from!
>
> So, I think you should reverse both definitions and match "src" with the
> outgoing interface and "dst" with the incoming interface - exactly the
> opposite of what you have now. Documenting something which was done wrong in
> the first place doesn't make it right.

The hash:net,iface type is out for a long time. It is not possible to
change the meaning of src/dst without breaking backward compatibility,
therefore I won't do it. As a "workaround" I tried to explain the meaning
of src/dst for iface as clearly as possible.

Best regards,
Jozsef
-
E-mail  : kadlec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, kadlecsik.jozsef@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Address : Wigner Research Centre for Physics, Hungarian Academy of Sciences
          H-1525 Budapest 114, POB. 49, Hungary