Re: [ANNOUNCE] ipset 6.13 released

I have just released ipset 6.13 with a few bugfixes and some new features.

Userspace changes:
 - Explain in more detail src/dst for hash:net,iface
Assuming this is what you've had in mind (taken from "man ipset"):

The second direction parameter of the set match and
SET target modules corresponds to the incoming/outgoing interface:
src to the incoming one (similar to the -i flag of iptables), while
dst to the outgoing one (similar to the -o flag of iptables). When
the interface is flagged with physdev:, the interface is interpreted
as the incoming/outgoing bridge port.

I think that is plain wrong!

You refer to the incoming interface (interface on which packets arrive) as the "source". That cannot be right. To me, it should be a "destination", not "source" as the very definition of a "destination" is where something ends, this is where a packet arrives and where the journey of the packet "stops" (or where the packet is "destined" to arrive anyway). It should definitely not be a "source" as the packet does not originate there, nor does it start its journey there.

Similarly for the outgoing interface - this isn't a "destination" interface as the packet doesn't arrive there - it is where it starts its journey from!

So, I think you should reverse both definitions and match "src" with the outgoing interface and "dst" with the incoming interface - exactly the opposite of what you have now. Documenting something which was done wrong in the first place doesn't make it right.