Re: [ANNOUNCE] ipset 6.13 released

On Sun, Jul 1, 2012 at 3:46 AM, Mr Dash Four
<mr.dash.four@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> You refer to the incoming interface (interface on which packets arrive) as
> the "source". That cannot be right. To me, it should be a "destination", not
>  "source" as the very definition of a "destination" is where something ends,
> this is where a packet arrives and where the journey of the packet "stops"
> (or where the packet is "destined" to arrive anyway). It should definitely
> not be a "source" as the packet does not originate there, nor does it start
> its journey there.
>
> Similarly for the outgoing interface - this isn't a "destination" interface
> as the packet doesn't arrive there - it is where it starts its journey from!

I think the current terminology is correct FWIW. From a local network
stack perspective for locally- sourced/destined packets, the source of
incoming packets is the interface and the destination is a local
socket.  The source of an outgoing packet is the local socket (where
it starts its journey) and the destination is the outgoing interface.

More importantly, I would consider your proposed terminology
inarguably backward for the case of forwarded packets.