Re: iptables 1.4.0.77, Xtables-addons 1.5.4.1

Jan Engelhardt wrote:
On Monday 2008-04-28 13:20, Pablo Neira Ayuso wrote:

Jan Engelhardt wrote:
I have uploaded an (unofficial) tarball of the current (official) HEAD from
the SCM up to http://dev.medozas.de/files/xtables/iptables-1.4.0.77.tar.bz2
(+ .asc). The version number is derived from git-describe telling me it has
been 77 commits since the last tag (Dec 22 2007), and it should not interfere
with any official release numbering plans.
People have SVN snapshots from the Netfilter FTP?
Why do we need this sort of unnofficial release?

I did not know (or rather, forgotten) that automatic tarballs were
created. People do not seem to use these (but perhaps `svn co`),
otherwise they would have probably noticed before me now that they
are currently generated incorrectly.

I predict that the _majority_ of users do not run any snapshot. And
they probably would not run a snapshot because they are not
interested, or because their distro does not package it — and there
is nothing wrong with that.

By giving a specific snapshot the explicit "tarball blessing" which
implies it was tested more than the usual autogenerated snapshot, it
will — hopefully — give reason to actually use it on a regular basis.

I would prefer if you would avoid creating confusion by creating
unofficial tarballs with official sounding names and versioning.

Its time for a -rc though, I agree.