Re: iptables 1.4.0.77, Xtables-addons 1.5.4.1

On Monday 2008-04-28 13:20, Pablo Neira Ayuso wrote:

> Jan Engelhardt wrote:
>> I have uploaded an (unofficial) tarball of the current (official) HEAD from
>> the SCM up to http://dev.medozas.de/files/xtables/iptables-1.4.0.77.tar.bz2
>> (+ .asc). The version number is derived from git-describe telling me it has
>> been 77 commits since the last tag (Dec 22 2007), and it should not interfere
>> with any official release numbering plans.
>
> People have SVN snapshots from the Netfilter FTP?
> Why do we need this sort of unnofficial release?

I did not know (or rather, forgotten) that automatic tarballs were
created. People do not seem to use these (but perhaps `svn co`),
otherwise they would have probably noticed before me now that they
are currently generated incorrectly.

I predict that the _majority_ of users do not run any snapshot. And
they probably would not run a snapshot because they are not
interested, or because their distro does not package it — and there
is nothing wrong with that.

By giving a specific snapshot the explicit "tarball blessing" which
implies it was tested more than the usual autogenerated snapshot, it
will — hopefully — give reason to actually use it on a regular basis.