Re: N900/Maemo 5 review

Mark <wolfmane@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
> On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 12:37 PM, Kevin T.> Neely<ktneely@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:>> Not at all.  The complaint I responded to was that Nokia would drop>> software updates for the N900 as soon as the next hardware came out,>> which it may or may not do.  But it doesn't really matter because>> the tech moves so fast, older hardware just isn't useful anymore. >> Maybe the Visor is fine for you, but I no longer live in 1998 and>> require a bit more functionality from the portable electronics I>> carry around.>> That statement is patently untrue. The counterarguments are so obvious> and plentiful that I'm not even going to start listing them.>>> This is yet another classic example of Mark taking one comment and>> then turning it in a different direction to "prove" his point.>> Slinging mud is an obvious sign of someone who knows he's on the> losing end of an argument. You can't defeat the facts or the logic, so> you attack the character. Unfortunately, my character is irrelevant;> my logic holds.>>>  Which you didn't because both my phone and my N800 can do>> everything the handspring visor can do.>> K>> Wrong. Neither your phone nor your N800 can be used as a consumer> learning IR remote, with unlimited devices and commands, completely> customizable screens, sophisticated macros and unlimited timers.> (Frankly, not even the commercially available $2500.00 remotes can do> any better.) Neither have the full PIM functionality, especially the> tablet. Neither can be nearly as easily read outdoors in direct> sunlight, or even in some artificial light. Neither has anything like> the battery life, or cheap, universally available and easily> replaceable batteries. Neither can be expanded with hardware modules.> Certainly there are lots of things that your phone and tablet can do> that the Visor can't, and their hardware's speed and power are much> greater (but not more flexible), but the point here is that neither> your phone nor your tablet has approached anything but a tiny portion> of their potential, whereas the Visor's capability has been exploited> to the nth degree. That's what makes your phone and tablet so easily> replaceable (which you even said yourself).

So, why are Visor PDAs dead then ?
-- "People always get what they ask for; the only trouble is that theynever know, until they get it, what actually is that they have askedfor."  - Aldous Huxley_______________________________________________maemo-users mailing listmaemo-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx://lists.maemo.org/mailman/listinfo/maemo-users