Re: N900/Maemo 5 review

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 12:37 PM, Kevin T.
Neely<ktneely@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Not at all.  The complaint I responded to was that Nokia would drop software
> updates for the N900 as soon as the next hardware came out, which it may or
> may not do.  But it doesn't really matter because the tech moves so fast,
> older hardware just isn't useful anymore.  Maybe the Visor is fine for you,
> but I no longer live in 1998 and require a bit more functionality from the
> portable electronics I carry around.

That statement is patently untrue. The counterarguments are so obvious
and plentiful that I'm not even going to start listing them.

> This is yet another classic example of Mark taking one comment and then
> turning it in a different direction to "prove" his point.

Slinging mud is an obvious sign of someone who knows he's on the
losing end of an argument. You can't defeat the facts or the logic, so
you attack the character. Unfortunately, my character is irrelevant;
my logic holds.

>  Which you didn't
> because both my phone and my N800 can do everything the handspring visor can
> do.

Wrong. Neither your phone nor your N800 can be used as a consumer
learning IR remote, with unlimited devices and commands, completely
customizable screens, sophisticated macros and unlimited timers.
(Frankly, not even the commercially available $2500.00 remotes can do
any better.) Neither have the full PIM functionality, especially the
tablet. Neither can be nearly as easily read outdoors in direct
sunlight, or even in some artificial light. Neither has anything like
the battery life, or cheap, universally available and easily
replaceable batteries. Neither can be expanded with hardware modules.
Certainly there are lots of things that your phone and tablet can do
that the Visor can't, and their hardware's speed and power are much
greater (but not more flexible), but the point here is that neither
your phone nor your tablet has approached anything but a tiny portion
of their potential, whereas the Visor's capability has been exploited
to the nth degree. That's what makes your phone and tablet so easily
replaceable (which you even said yourself).

Mark