Re: N900/Maemo 5 review

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 11:23 AM, Kevin T.
Neely<ktneely@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I don't understand why that's such a big deal.  all hardware gets tossed
> aside eventually.

You could not be more wrong. I'm still using my Handspring Visor
Deluxe every day because it does things that *no* other device can do,
even 10 years after it came out. I'm still using my 12-year-old Garmin
GPS III because it still works great, is totally waterproof, has
ultra-long battery life, the display is very plain and clear
regardless of lighting conditions and it does some things that some
newer devices don't. The devices that get tossed aside are the ones
that don't have any outstanding features and so the next thing that
comes along easily displaces them. The issue with the Nokia tablets is
that they have so much potential, but are only living up to a tiny
fraction of it because Nokia isn't giving them the attention they
deserve. If Nokia would get their heads out of their behinds and
*finish* the OS and software, they would blow the iPhone and all other
competition out of the water for years to come. But their half-hearted
attempts (and the obvious "me-too" OS features of Freemantle" instead
of concentrating on the unique strengths of the tablets) just don't
cut it.

> Mobile just happens more often than others because the
> development space is so fast.

No, it's because most of the manufacturers are so busy trying to copy
each other instead of making truly awesome devices that the market is
flooded with mediocre, interchangeable devices instead of real
competition. It's become a competition of style rather than features,
so of course it's subject to fads and transient trends.

> If you want something that you can keep around for a while, get a big
> desktop.  That probably has the longest shelf-life.

Actually, desktops probably get replaced about as often as anything
else, even though they are easiest to upgrade. It's really not
economically sound to upgrade (or build your own) anymore because new
ones are so cheap.

>  Still, the N900 will be
> more-or-less open and hackable hardware just like the N800, so continued
> development of other platforms will be based upon hobbyist interest, just
> like everything else.

And, no offense to the hobbyist developers, but the fundamental
platform never gets finished, never mind the software feature set.
Hobbyists only have a certain amount of time and resources to
contribute, and they have far less access to the fundamental hardware
and OS features than the manufacturer. It's not reasonable, as either
a manufacturer or user, to expect hobbyists to finish the product for
you.

Mark