Re: Nokia netbook

lakestevensdental <lakestevensdental@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>>> You appear to be ignoring the power of numbers. Nokia's netbook,
>>> bundled with Windows will sell far more units with than without.
>>> The larger quantity sold with Windows will allow Nokia to produce
>>> sell their netbook for less than otherwise, perhaps more than $25
>>> less. Besides, having to manage a smallish inventory for a
>>> Windowless version would be a hassle (expense) for Nokia and
>>> sellers. So get over the $25 cost of Windows. If you want an Ubuntu
>>> netbook, just install it when you get it.

>> The "hassle" you speak of comes from dealing with an 800 pound
>> gorilla that has historically only been reigned in by the Commission
>> of the European Communities. ...
>   The "hassle" has little to do with Microsoft, everything to do with
> production realities, mass markets and managing inventory.

>   Asus plowed the road for everyone with their eee netbook which first
> came out with a Linux distro. While the eee was popular new format,
> the eee-netbooks only really took off when Windows XP was offered as
> the OS of choice.

Right. I thought MS jumped on the wagon, because netbooks with Linux
became popular. Apparently not so...

> When bundled with Windows, the cost of netbooks actually dropped
> because production numbers increased allowing development costs to
> being shared amongst thousands more units.

OK. Then me seeing Linux-based EEE PC cheaper than Windows-based ones is
probably a problem with my eyes.

Funny thing, MS had to "convince" Asus that selling EEE PC based on
Windows exclusively is in Asus' own interest. I guess Asus didn't know
what they were doing...

>   Like many, I wish the market would embrace one of the Linux versions
> instead of Windoze. MS (author of the world's largest computer virus)
> seems to be doing all it can do to promote the development of other
> OSs with it's Vista debacle, soon to be replaced by a W7 debacle
> (IMHO).

>   Seems to me, the primary technical thing that is probably holding
> adoption of Linux back has more do with the lack of a strong
> gaming/video platform on Linux to fill the DirectX niche.

Not everyone is playing games on PCs. Looking at the size of the gaming
industry and PCs share of it, it definitely isn't so. The majority of
users are not playing games.

>   Beyond that, Linux folks need to learn to better embrace the
> marketplace.

Linux folks don't really care about the marketplace. Or I can say it
differently, the market share is not a priority for Linux. Linux is not
a company. It's not making money. It doesn't have to report revenue.
People are involved in Linux development because they themselves use it.
So, as long as there will be a minimum number of people, number enough
to continue development and support it, Linux will exist. Market share
is not important here.  One mln users or 10mln doesn't really help Linux
development, because the majority of users are not involved in its
development. Of course, market share increases hardware support. But as
Apple's case shows a couple of percent is enough for that.

> Freeware (like the 400 or so apps of varied utility and use populating
> the n810 and Maemo) is all fine and good, but average endusers are
> much more inclined to the comfort of marketplaces like the AppleStore
> where then can click and download 'almost' free games and apps for
> about the price of a latte or less.

Again, I am not sure Linux developers actually care about the average
enduser so much. It's not the priority.

> Contrary to common Linux beliefs, there's nothing wrong with offering
> a simple cost effective marketplace for folks to buy software. It
> helps pay developers to develop more and better software. Linux is
> again way behind the curve in marketplace savy. Witness how the n800
> series came without (and still pretty much lacks) a decent PIM. Like
> what the reward for someone to port a PIM to this small market niche?

Never heard about this "common Linux belief". Probably missed it...

--
"Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat its mistakes."
- Unknown