Re: Where is telnet?

On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 1:52 PM, James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Mark wrote:

>>> Windows 3.1 had no TCP/IP stack whatsoever. People used to install
>>> "Trumpet Winsock" to get on-line.
>>>
>>> Back then the first x86 desktop OS to be released which included a
>>> TCP/IP stack and web browser was IBM OS/2 Warp 3.0, released in 1994.
>>>
>>> FC
>>>

>> Not quite right. I had "Windows for Workgroups", version 3.11 (as
>> opposed to 3.1), which was obviously intended for network/Internet use
>> and had additional components. I didn't have to install anything extra
>> beyond the Workgroup extras. I do recall later having to do some
>> troubleshooting that involved delving into Trumpet Winsock, but that
>> was long after I was online. Windows 3.0 had no winsock out of the
>> box, but it was available.
>>
> IIRC, Windows for Workgroups included NetBIOS networking, which was the
> default networking for Windows, DOS & OS/2.  IP support came with
> Windows 95, as initially Microsoft didn't think the internet would
> amount to much.  Do not confuse networking with IP support.

Sigh... would you please read the references before relying on your
memory? NetBIOS/NetBEUI was included in the *basic* Windows 3.1; WFW
3.11 added features, including Winsock.

Version 1.1 of Winsock (in case that's not clear, the "Win" is short
for "Windows"...) came out in January 1993. That's Windows 3.x, for
those of you who are paying attention. No, the very first version of
Windows 3.0 didn't come with it out of the box, but that's one of the
things that made WFW 3.11 "for workgroups", as in businesses who need
*all kinds* of networking, not just internal Windows ones.

By Windows 95, IE came into existence and Micro$oft had begun their
monopolistic drive in earnest. (And Winsock *was* integral with
Win95.) But Windows 95 (and IE) was being developed by the time 3.11
came out...

See here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_3.11

The first PC I personally owned I bought in January 1995, with Windows
3.11 pre-installed (a Gateway 2000 P5-90). I can't speak for other or
older versions or installations, but I didn't have to install winsock
because it was already installed. Since Win32s was also already
installed, maybe it was Gateway 2000's "everything but the kitchen
sink" philosophy at work.

Mark