Re: Where is telnet?

On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 09:30:23PM +0100, Peter Flynn wrote:

> It's sad that there is no evidence that Nokia marketing even
> understand that the problem exists, let alone understand the problem
> itself.

I think that neither Debian or Ubuntu come with telnet installed by
default. I'm not completely sure, but I found myself having to install
it in some friends' computers a couple of times.

I use ssh a lot on my tablet and I honestly have never felt the need
to use telnet. I imagine that no one from Nokia felt that it was that
important either. And that's it.

I'm not trying to say that telnet is useless, and it would probably
be nice if it was installed by default, but I think that you guys are
exaggerating the magnitude of the problem.

Don't know what the market target of the tablets is, but the spots
talk about web browsing, voice/video calls, GPS and the media player,
not about Linux or a hackable device.

In fact I know quite a few non-technical guys who bought a tablet and
all of them use it happily without even needing the X Terminal.

Berto