Re: Nokia device usage

On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 12:23 PM, Scott <scott@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Most people have over inflated expectations about what technology in
> general can do... we can thank the marketing departments of the world
> for that.  Its just like when your ISP says you get 3mb transfer
> speeds but really its a maximum of 3mb... and how they say 3mb meaning
> megabit rather than megabyte yet average people only know the 1
> term... or that 500gig hard drive you bought is really 468gigs... my
> favorite had to be someone selling an "internet ready" power strip...
> so people who do not know any better think they need this one to be
> able to surf the net.
>
> I will go on record and say that the n810 has failings, but it is
> meeting my expectations.
>
> -- Scott

I'm paying for 7Mb, and getting about 2.4MB speeds with my DSL. So
what? I can still watch HD streaming video and don't think twice about
downloading Linux iso DVDs. I don't care what the numbers are, it
meets not only my needs but my expectations. (Although I do take issue
with them telling you that you can't run your own Web hosting box and
are now adding download caps. That shouldn't be legal.) With current
hard drive capacities versus storage needs, the average consumer is
never going to miss a few dozen gigs of capacity. It still does
exactly what it's supposed to: it stores stuff, and lots of it.

That's opposed to: a nav app that doesn't do navigation, a webcam that
doesn't do the web, etc., etc. You're not making valid comparisons.

Mark