Re: Nokia device usage

On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 11:03 AM, Fernando Cassia <fcassia@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Perhaps I get emotional after the messages like "I will never buy a
> Nokia product again" from people who act with outrage as if someone
> sold them a faulty item that breaks in a millon pieces in the first
> week of use.

The outrage is due to the *fact* that the device doesn't live up to its PR.

> The device is a 300+ Mhz ARM PDA-like device with Wi-Fi and with an
> open software stack, which runs a Mozilla derivative browser and can
> run plenty of Linux software. It also comes with a decent selection of
> proprietary software like Skype...

...which is far more powerful than desktops of a decade ago that had
far more functionality (due to the software, not the hardware) than
the tablets.

> Then people come here and complain like stabbeds pigs saying their
> Asus EEE running WinXP provides more functionality and that hence,
> Internet Tablets suck and are doomed.

The problem is that there's nothing wrong with the hardware, and in
fact it's quite good, but the software is utterly lacking.

> That smells like trolling to me. It's the non-Windows products that
> always get that kind of "spontaneous criticism".
>
> FC

Fact 1: Linux does NOT have a monopoly on open-source or freeware.
That has existed for PCs since LONG before Linux, and even before
Windows, but since you're hating on Windows so much I have to point
out that there is boatloads of free, open-source software for Windows
that is far more stable, featureful and polished than what is
available for the tablets. And all Linux apps will NOT work on the
tablets, only those that have been ported to work on the hardware
and/or interface.

Fact 2: If you're going to sell anything, your product necessarily has
to compare favorably with the competition, regardless of what your
idea of "the competition" should be.

Fact 3: Plenty of non-Windows devices get constant favorable press.
Like any Apple product, and many mobile devices with non-MS OSs. It's
far from a Micro$oft vs. THE WORLD issue. Every device has to stand on
its own merits.

Mark