Re: Nokia device usage

On Thursday 05 March 2009 13:37:35 Fernando Cassia wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 11:12 AM, Ognen Duzlevski <ognen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am curious to find out what people use their Nokias for. If anyone
> > could share their usage patterns, it would be appreciated.
>
> This is like asking "what do peope use their bikes for? I bought one
> and can't find any use for it".
> Well if it's of no use for you, sell it. It's ridiculous to ask others
> for guidance, obviously if you haven't found a need for it, then you
> don't need it.

Dude, chill out. I am not asking for guidance, just curious what it is
generally being used for. Maybe there is a function I missed and someone else
has thought of. Unless you think you know everything (I don't), there is
always someone doing something that one can learn from.

> > I bought an N800 thinking that it was a very cool gadget (which it seems
> > to be). However, I am having trouble justifying the expense to myself,
> > even after a year of owning the thing.
>
> Another reason to sell it.

Perhaps, I am not asking your for permission am I?

> > Here is my list of complaints:
> >
> > It is too slow when browsing the net (compared to, for example, my Asus
> > EEE or my laptop).
>
> Oh great, you are comparing an ultra low-power 320MHZ ARM CPU (RISC)
> vs a 1Ghz x86 CISC.

It is not about computational power comparison, it is about functionality. If
I can spend the same amount of money and get something that does the same job
WAY better and is close in size and weight, why buy the underpowered thing?

> Here's some learning for you to do:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RISC
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complex_instruction_set_computer
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARM_architecture

I have a CS degree and I know the difference between RISC and CISC. I think you
need to learn how to talk to people with respect.

> > Then I thought I would use it as a glorified GPS unit
> > so I spent more money and bought a bluetooth GPS unit for it.
> >
> > Well, if you're looking for cost-effictive, it's probably cheaper to buy
> > a N810 with GPS on board. also difficult for me. Thus, I gave up. Next,
> > Skype: I have tried to have a phone call or two over wireless, but with
> > mixed luck, sometimes too slow, sometimes alright.
>
> ...and this is the fault of the device why?. It's like complaining
> about a car because a certain lane on a highway is too slow.

Again, we are talking about functionality. If you are selling a device that
works half the time for half the tasks then the reasonable question is whether
the device is worth it. If I came up with a device touting a function of it
that depends on infrastructure that is not there, how is that a usable,
functional device? Since I am a customer, I am asking other customers what
they use their devices for and whether they have found what I found - that the
N800 is not really what I (or they) expected it to be. If you found a good use
for your N800, great, you can share it or keep it to yourself. If you share
it, maybe I learn from you and I find a use for myself....

> > So, all in all, what do people use their Nokias for and are they happy
> > with the overall usability of the apps and their documentation? Or am I
> > just being lazy and giving up easily?
>
> Yes. You should get a hobby or another "distraction". Clearly the N800
> is a very bad toy.

Not even going to comment. I think you need to re-read your email and reflect
on your communication skills. Pretty uncivilized, in my opinion.

Thanks,
Ognen