Re: Nokia device usage

On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 9:33 AM, Eero Tamminen <eero.tamminen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> ext Alejandro López wrote:
>>> Agreed, and fully understandable. Can we draw up a list of what -
>>> exactly - the N8x0 fails to do out-of-the-box which it is advertised
>>> it *can* do; and requires hacker-like skills to enable?
>>
>> One thing that deceived me is that Skype was announced as and
>> important application. Although it is true that Skype works,
>> it's a rather old version (1.7) that doesn't support video
>> conference. As the device includes a webcam, I was expecting
>> Skype to be able to use it. In my particular case, videoconf
>> is the only usage I have for Skype.
>
> To assess whether this was a realistic expectation, were there other
> mobile devices[1] which provided Skype *video*calls when you bought
> the device?
>
> [1] mobile = ones that are same size or smaller, see my earlier
>     mail about power consumption & heat dissipation.
>

>        - Eero

Bull hockey! The expectation is that 1) Skype is touted, 2) the device
has a webcam, and 3) Skype even has an empty blank rectangle where the
video would go if it were enabled. And every time you pop out the
camera (on an N800) the "Internet Call" client opens WITH A
FUNCTIONING VIDEO WINDOW running, no matter how many times you uncheck
the "Start when camera launched" setting, so clearly it's possible.

Mark