Re: Itouch v N8x0

kenneth marken wrote:
lakestevensdental wrote:

Rick Bilonick wrote:

I could not agree more! I wouldn't buy a car from a manufacturer that
forced me to buy batteries, tires, service, etc. from it.

Actually, the Apple app store is full of software from a variety of
sources -- many free, many not.  Like Maemo, it's a central clearing
house for software that is deemed suitable for the device of interest.

For example, (and one of my peeves about the n800), the App Store has a
program/service called Epocrates for medical folks to use to check on
drugs, interactions and more.  There's a free download for the Ipod
Touch, as well as a paid advanced service/program from the same folks.
The same software is available for Blackberries and several other
internet phone devices.   However, there has NOT been a port to the n8x0
series so far as I can tell.  This software is self-contained so it
works with and without wifi connection.   You can get a wifi Epocrates
on the n800 in the browser, but you can't use it off the net as the data
is not resident on the device -- at least so far as I can determine.

i say you can thank media for that. they have written just about nothing
on the tablet series, yet even common press writes about apple products
when they usually do not cover tech outside of special columns.

basically i see apple as some kind of media darling. as not surprising
really given how common it has been to use apple hardware to run adobe
photoshop and so on. apple products and media production goes a long way
back...

This isn't necessarily an Apple Iphone/Ipod deal.  A lot of medical people have Epocrates on their palm pilot device.  AND the software was available before the Iphone and Itouch.

 What undoubtably makes it work really well for developers is the App Store that provides a common portal for both free and paid expanded service software, as well as free and full game versions.   It just makes common marketing sense that the device that has a functional store where people actually buy product is going to do better at attracting development than a 'repository' of free junk.

Always, Fred C