Re: Itouch v N8x0

On 19 Dec 2008, at 22:49, lakestevensdental wrote:

I can't agree with your comments ont he keyboard. The N800 on screen
is extremely flakey and the layout is really annoying. I've played
with a few iphones and found the onscreen far more precise and less
prone to odd results. The entire Chinook line and first Diablo release
was almost impossile to type with. I got constantly doubled
characters. It seems to have improved witht he second and third Diablo
release tho.

>   I also regularly do wireless file
> transfers to and from my n800 and my (Windows) LAN, which is verbotten
> on the iTouch.

Not true. I don't own one, but I know there are apps that will make
the ipod touch (not itouch) or iphone look like a file share on the
wireless network and transfer files. There's even a free one. This was
a question that came up on the last MacCast, so check that podcast out
for more info.

> I also occasionally have used my n800 to help show
> patients xRays on my n800 via remote viewing of one of the clinic PCs.
> Nothing like that is available on the Touch.

RDP is available IIRC. VNC is too. Which protocol is it that you
require?

> While a PC can detect a connected Ipod Touch, you can't interact with
> the Touch via file manager so far as I've figured out.

There are apps to do this. They tend not to be able to put files in to
the OS readable drive space though. But then, this doesn't work on any
ipod. Apple removed the disk mode to deter people hacking the firmware.

> Everything
> between PC and Touch has to be done thru iTunes.  Basically, there no
> 'enduser' interaction with the inner workings of the iTouch.

It's a multimedia music player. It's not designed to be in the same
sphere as the N8x0. They are *meant* to be general purpose.

>  Bottomline, the closed proprietary nature of ...

This is entirely the reason not to bother comparing anything but the
N800 without hacking or changing of "out of the box" purpose.