Re: Itouch v N8x0

Matt Emson wrote:
>   I can't agree with your comments ont he keyboard. The N800 on screen
> is extremely flakey and the layout is really annoying. I've played
> with a few iphones and found the onscreen far more precise and less
> prone to odd results. The entire Chinook line and first Diablo release
> was almost impossile to type with. I got constantly doubled
> characters. It seems to have improved witht he second and third Diablo
> release tho.
To each his own on the keyboard layout.  I'm a stylus user on the n800.
In the here and now (like anyone really cares about the hassles of those
who use outdates OSs), I've not had much double typing issues with the
n800 with the stylus.  The Itouch appears to use a heat sensitive
screen, which means you can't use a stylus --  You've got to use your
chubby fingers. It is more sensitive than the n800.  Double keys don't
seem to be an issue on the Itouch as much as getting the key you want.
Like most anything, one's 'accuracy' seems to improve with time.  It may
be this is the reason the n800 double strokes have improved.

> Not true. I don't own one, but I know there are apps that will make
> the ipod touch (not itouch) or iphone look like a file share on the
> wireless network and transfer files. There's even a free one. This was
> a question that came up on the last MacCast, so check that podcast out
> for more info.

They are surely ways, if you break the 'lock' on the Touch OS.  Also,
the Touch doesn't have bluetooth (so far as I know).  If you're dealing
with a Bluetooth phone, file transfers are probably a given.    If there
is an Apple approved file manager/wireless transfer app for the Touch,
it's not included in the generic release or not readily findable.

There may be a free file transfer app in the Apple App store.  It seems
there's a conscious decision to require users to have to visit it often
for this and that -- the marketeers assumption is that you'll soon break
down and start buying things.  With lots of apps costing less than a
Starbucks, it's probably a good strategy for Apple and their numerous
developers.
>> I also occasionally have used my n800 to help show patients xRays on
>> my n800 via remote viewing of one of the clinic PCs. Nothing like
>> that is available on the Touch.  RDP is available IIRC. VNC is too.
You could be correct about there being something like this for the Touch
in the Apple Store, or it could be an 'outside' app that requires
breaking the 'lock'.  The Touch obviously has a capable computer under
it's hood.  It's just not set up to give the impression of being able to
open the hood...   There are hacks available, if you're into that sort
of thing...

  BTW, there is one other thing I've noted about Safari and web pages on
the Touch.  It seems to store pages offline so that when you click to
load one of these pages, the page loads very quickly, instead of being
dragged down off the web after all of the web connections are
established.  IMHO, this would be a nice feature for the n800's browser
to have, at least as a default option.
>> This is entirely the reason not to bother comparing anything but the
>> N800 without hacking or changing of "out of the box" purpose.
Agreed.  It's interesting to have two somewhat similar products.  The
Touch approaches "the market at large" from the proprietary perspective,
while the N800 approaches the "market at large" from the open source
perspective.   Both could learn a bit from each other.   One thing I
didn't mention about the Touch is how the more you use it, the more you
may wish it was an Iphone, or one of the many clones that are filling
the marketplace.   It would be nice to not have to be tethered to wifi
to get all of it's features.

Always, Dr Fred C
drfredc@xxxxxxxxxxx