Re: Itouch v N8x0

On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 2:23 PM, kenneth marken <kemarken@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Lake Stevens Dental wrote:
> more correctly the itouch uses a capacitive screen that reacts to the
> change in voltage when skin, or something with similar conductivity,
> comes into contact or very near.
>
> this then allows the ease of gesturing and other stuff we see in the
> interface of said device, as one do not have to maintain a minimum level
> of pressure on the surface of the screen. said requirements on resistive
> screens, like whats used everywhere else, means that one invoke the
> surface resistance of the finger, the very thing that allows one to hold
> onto something like a glass of water or other apparently smooth surface.
>
> im guessing, but i suspect that the double-press of the tablet screen
> comes from issues with registering no pressure. That is, if you suddenly
> have a drop in pressure followed by a increase, it may register that as
> two presses when it was just a movement of the finger or something of
> that nature.
>
> i would say that the single clever trick they did on the device, and its
> relative, was the selection of said screen.

Capacitive screens are nice for bare fingers, but if you're wearing
gloves they don't work. I'll take the pressure-sensitive screen any
day. I can use my gloved finger or the stylus when it's -10 degrees
and don't have to worry about frostbite, unlike the guy I saw at the
bus stop the other day...

I've been using my N800 tethered to my basic but bluetooth-enabled
phone for Internet access on the go, and I can do a heck of a lot of
stuff the iPhone can only dream about, even if hacked. If I want a
real keyboard, just fire up USB host mode, and type away at a speed
that no iPhone or tiny bluetooth keyboard can hope to do. They make
inexpensive compact USB keyboards in any configuration you could
possibly want, and keyboards work just fine with the limited power the
tablet can provide (even my Gyration wireless receiver works with no
other power). I now also have a battery-powered USB hub (that is as
small as most normal hubs) that can power the tablet as well as other
USB peripherals such as USB memory devices etc.

Apples are all about style over substance. If you want to join the
me-too crowd who wants to have what everyone else has, regardless of
whether it's actually worth anything, then by all means jump on the
Apple bandwagon. You won't actually own the device you paid for,
though. Apple will dictate to you what you can and cannot do with it.
Even if you crack it, the possibilities are far from wide open, and
you'll be in a world of hurt if you ever want something that's in the
official channels.

I'll take (relatively) open and a smaller range (but free) of apps
with at least the possibility of doing anything at all with it without
worrying about voiding the warranty, thank you very much.

Mark