Re: App behaviour (was: Re: App-Manager failure

On Sunday 23 November 2008 09:32:56 am Peter Flynn wrote:
> Tim Ashman wrote:

> >> Out of interest, are these the same apps as shipped with the N800/Bora?
> >> Or are they completely new (ie do they have the functionality people
> >> expect from a PIM app nowadays?)
> >
> > No they are the same completely limited apps that came with the original
> > software.  I use gpe and it works great but since it doesn't have the
> > hooks into the  rest of the OS it is still very disconnected.
>
> OK, thanks.
>
> > I was just commenting on the fact that of the apps you wish to use on
> > diablo those do work at least as well as they did before with chinook.
>
> A pity they can't be junked and replaced by the GPE apps as the default.
>
> > My only pain point is that the old email worked better for me than modest
> > does.  I now use  my providers webmail instead.
>
> Personally, I *hate* web-based email: crummy editors, restricted
> facilities, lousy interfaces. Claws is not a bad substitute for
> Thunderbird.
>
> > Again as I stated before,  I need modest to do the following.
> >
> > 1.  Allow me to select at deletion time if I want to delete from the
> > server the device or both
>
> I noticed that in the default mail app and wondered that functionality
> was provided: I'd never seen it in any mailer before; then it dawned on
> me that some people want to keep some mail locally and some remotely.
>
> I'd agree, but I'd want to be able to defeat it as an option and set
> Delete to mean remove from both always.

The chinook email asks the question, so I was fine with that.  Modest you can
set it in the preferences but that's  it.  It just doesn't fit the way I use
my tablet.

> > 2.  Allow multiple accounts to funnel directly into the inbox.
>
> I'd want precisely the opposite. Again the default mail app does this
> and has no way to keep mail from different accounts separate, which i
> find deeply confusing. But again, the facility should be there, switchable.

Then modest will be an improvement for you.  It has separate "folders" or
inboxes for each account.  I agree in a desktop sized app this is what I want
too, but  in an on the go device like the tablet I just want all my mail in
one spot.

Sounds like modest would be an improvement for you.

I do agree that it should be configurable, I should be able to set it up the
way I want, and you should you.  I don't think it is too much to ask for
these simply changes,

tim