Re: App behaviour (was: Re: App-Manager failure

On 11/23/08, Peter Flynn <peter@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  > Again as I stated before,  I need modest to do the following.
>  >
>  > 1.  Allow me to select at deletion time if I want to delete from the server
>  > the device or both
>
>  I noticed that in the default mail app and wondered that functionality
>  was provided: I'd never seen it in any mailer before;

Because you weren't looking; that feature has existed on every email
app I've ever used, including my old Psion Series 5. (I've never used
the Tablet's email app for that and other reasons.)

>  then it dawned on
>  me that some people want to keep some mail locally and some remotely.
>
>  I'd agree, but I'd want to be able to defeat it as an option and set
>  Delete to mean remove from both always.

That seems obvious, and is usually how it's implemented. The default
is usually not to ask, which is probably why you haven't noticed it
elsewhere.

>  > 2.  Allow multiple accounts to funnel directly into the inbox.
>
>  I'd want precisely the opposite. Again the default mail app does this
>  and has no way to keep mail from different accounts separate, which i
>  find deeply confusing. But again, the facility should be there, switchable.
>
>  ///Peter
This has been my gripe with most email apps; you don't have a choice.
These days it's almost irrelevant, since most apps have basic filter
functionality that allows you to funnel messages anywhere you want,
but still...

Thunderbird is the first app I've used that allows total, flexible
control both of that and multiple users with completely separate
profiles on the same machine. I wish someone would port *it* for the
tablets, but they would probably just strip it down and remove all the
important features like they did FF, anyway...

Mark