Re: What is the best app to read .doc or .ppt files on N810

Mark wrote:
> And...?

"You need 1.3 GB free on one of your memory cards (this includes the
built-in 2GB on the N810), although after installing, you will only need
1 GB."

I happen to have an N800 and it didn't come with cards that big. It's
like saying you need to buy a sidecar if you expect to carry groceries
home on your motorcycle. Maemo is first and foremost an embedded distro.
Don't expect to run huge apps on it any more than you should expect to
serve 100+ wireless users on a $30 wireless AP running DD-WRT, etc.

> And my point about porting to maemo is valid: if porting involves
> removing features in order to lighten the load, then there's no point.

I wouldn't be surprised if your problem reading Microsoft docs is their
file format and nothing to do with the app you're trying to open them in.
Regardless, don't expect to run a fast desktop sized app on the Nokia
handhelds. There are plenty of netbooks, $600 tablets, etc. that ship
with bigger procs and more RAM. I have an 8 year old tiny IBM notebook
with 64MB RAM running puppy linux. I don't expect to do much with it
other than run vpnc and SSH with the occasional foray in to Seamonkey.
But as soon as I hit the AJAX version of gmail it starts swapping to
disk, gets I/O bound, then have to kill the process.

I'm not going to get in to the Hildon vs straight Debian argument but
it's good to see alternate OSes being installed. I myself am pretty
tempted by the KDE install but I still wouldn't try to run bloated apps
like the desktop version of Firefox or OpenOffice.org. Unless I shelled
out for extra SD cards, that is. It's an impressive endeavor but with
so many conversion tools like antiword (http://www.winfield.demon.nl),
I'm not likely to be convinced any time soon that it's worth the hassle.
Same goes for most anything Java desktop related.

> The truth is that they (office applications) are designed from the
> ground up with portability in mind, not specific architectures.

Then why did it take the OOo team 7 years to release a native OS X
build? (That gap has been filled by NeoOffice for some time now).
Perhaps because they didn't want to port it to PowerPC?  Adobe Shockwave
player only recently came out with an Intel native port. Cross
architecture development is non-trivial. Just because it was written for
one specific flavor of Unix with its own giant tree of dependencies
doesn't mean it's going to compile on your OpenBSD/sparc box by running
configure && make. This applies to an application of any size and not
just ginormous office suites.

-Gary