Re: What is the best app to read .doc or .ppt files on N810

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 11:05 AM, Gary <gary@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Mark wrote:
>> There doesn't seem to be any interest with Nokia or the maemo
>> developers to port OpenOffice.org to maemo
>
> Let's be realistic about what we can expect to run on the N8X0, people.
> Porting a fully buzzword compliant office suite to it would be like
> trying to shoehorn a Cummins 444 engine in to the rear end of a '69 VW
> Beetle. Oh yeah, then there's cross-compiling to ARM which makes it even
> more fun. Even older versions don't fit the bill. q.v. the specs req'd
> for IBM's revamp of OpenOffice.org 2.X...
>

> System Requirements for OpenOffice.org 3
>
> GNU/Linux ("Linux")
>
>    * Linux kernel version 2.4 or higher, glibc2 version 2.3.2 or higher
>    * 256 Mbytes RAM (512 MB recommended)
>    * 400 Mbytes available disk space
>    * X-Server with 1024 x 768 or higher resolution with at least 256
> colours
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/dev_docs/source/sys_reqs_30.html

...so you're saying they are lying about it working?

http://maemo.org/downloads/product/OS2008/easy-deb-chroot/
http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=182861&postcount=60
http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20053

"System requirements" seldom reflect reality. They amount more to
recommendations than absolute requirements. Sure, it may be annoyingly
slow, but I'll take slow over nothing any day. This isn't HD video
editing or HD 3D gaming, either. My primary desktop machine doesn't
really have that much better specs than the ITs, and I'm running the
latest version of OOo. This machine doesn't even play Youtube videos
worth a flip, which my N800 does.

So yeah, it's realistic to expect OOo to run on an IT.

Mark