Re: What is the best app to read .doc or .ppt files on N810

Mark wrote:
> There doesn't seem to be any interest with Nokia or the maemo
> developers to port OpenOffice.org to maemo

Let's be realistic about what we can expect to run on the N8X0, people.
Porting a fully buzzword compliant office suite to it would be like
trying to shoehorn a Cummins 444 engine in to the rear end of a '69 VW
Beetle. Oh yeah, then there's cross-compiling to ARM which makes it even
more fun. Even older versions don't fit the bill. q.v. the specs req'd
for IBM's revamp of OpenOffice.org 2.X...

System Requirements for OpenOffice.org 3

GNU/Linux ("Linux")

    * Linux kernel version 2.4 or higher, glibc2 version 2.3.2 or higher
    * 256 Mbytes RAM (512 MB recommended)
    * 400 Mbytes available disk space
    * X-Server with 1024 x 768 or higher resolution with at least 256
colours

http://www.openoffice.org/dev_docs/source/sys_reqs_30.html

Lotus Symphony supports platforms for Microsoft Windows and Linux.

Note: Be sure your system meets these client system requirements:

    * Supported Windows® platforms: Windows XP, Windows Vista
    * Supported Linux platforms: SLED 10, RHEL 5, Ubuntu
    * At least 750MB of free disk space on Linux and at least 540MB of
free disk space on Windows
    * At least 512MB RAM memory
    * Windows installer does not support AMD64 CPU with XP/Vista 64 bit
platforms installed

http://symphony.lotus.com/software/lotus/symphony/help.nsf/GeneralFAQ#5