Re: What is the best app to read .doc or .ppt files on N810

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 12:06 PM, Gary <gary@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> YouTube's library of videos are encoded with codecs designed with mobile
> streaming in mind (VP6, Sorenson H.263, H.264, MPEG-4 ASP). An office
> suite UI built for years for a desktop OS is going to be non-trivial to
> re-engineer for the 800 x 480 Hildon UI. However, we eagerly await the
> testing of your DEBs if you'd like to get started on it;
> http://tools.openoffice.org/dev_docs/buildlinux.html#GetTheSourceCode
>
> I'm not saying it's impossible but it's certainly non-trivial. q.v.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/StarOffice#History
>
> -Gary

I'm not a developer, but I have programming experience and have
already tried and the tools are just too user-unfriendly. Besides,
it's already been done. There are screenshots here:
http://qole.blogspot.com/2008/10/easy-debian-moves-to-extras-devel.html

The fact that it's "non-trivial" to port is deliberate on Nokia's
part, and is a direct result of the tablets and their OS not being
truly open.

The fundamental problem is Nokia's firm conviction that a proprietary
version of Linux is both good and necessary. What needs to happen is
for Nokia to make maemo compatible with Debian, not the other way
around. It should have been the goal from the beginning. The last
thing the world needs is yet another version of Linux that requires
"porting" to make standard Linux applications work and results in a
boatload of applications that only work on one miniscule family of
machines. The bottom line is that if it requires porting, it's really
not the same OS. Otherwise, a simple recompile for the target hardware
is all that would be required.

Additional work to port the already-armel Debian versions to maemo
would be a waste of time and effort, since they are already working on
Easy Debian. Clearly they were not ported, just recompiled.

Mark