Re: What is the best app to read .doc or .ppt files on N810

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 12:53 PM, Gary <gary@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Mark wrote:
>
>> Additional work to port the already-armel Debian versions to maemo
>> would be a waste of time and effort, since they are already working on
>> Easy Debian. Clearly they were not ported, just recompiled.
>>

> "You need 1.3 GB free on one of your memory cards (this includes the
> built-in 2GB on the N810), although after installing, you will only need
> 1 GB. You need to keep your expectations reasonable. Big desktop
> applications like OpenOffice and Firefox run slowly on the tablet. They
> are designed for big, power-hungry CPUs. The N8x0's processor is
> comparable to a Pentium II processor. Just imagine running these apps on
> your computer from the mid-90s (remember Windows 95?), and you'll get
> the idea. But sometimes, you really need something on the tablet that
> only these apps can provide, like MS Word compatibility or Java applets."
>
> http://internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21629

And...?

The last sentence pretty much sums it up. The functionality of these
apps isn't just "nice", it's critical for many people, and since
neither Nokia nor maemo cares, Easy Debian is a very acceptable
option. If it works, it works.

And my point about porting to maemo is valid: if porting involves
removing features in order to lighten the load, then there's no point.
Complete compatibility and functionality is necessary, and incomplete
versions are more frustrating than useful.

Mark